Here’s everything tagged

“Sewing”

I recently sewed up this little rollerskate tunic for Maeve from Halloween fabric I had bought last year for costumes. I had just enough for the tunic length, I couldn't squeeze out the dress length. This fabric is so fun, I really like it and maybe I wish I had bought more? I made Maeve's little hair bow too. It's fun to sew little things for this girl. Next up, her birthday dress!

I've made at least 10 dresses for the Oliver and S Rollerskate pattern, but probably somewhere closer to 15. It's the perfect play dress. And while Maeve's tunic is a little large on her (surprise!), this pattern typically fits so nicely. 

The girls and I made art aprons together. Holly and Greta helped with a little of the sewing on these aprons. Teaching these kiddos to sew takes a lot of patience! These aprons were worth it, they are so cute! Holly and Greta both wanted to add pockets and so we did. I hope they chose to remember the good parts of my motherhood and not the impatient ones!

I don't sew nearly as much these days as I used to and therefore I try to be picky about what I make. This summer, I made myself a jumpsuit and I love how it turned out! It's the Yari Jumpsuit pattern by True Bias. I used a linen blend from JoAnn's. This jumpsuit is so incredibly comfortable and I love the way it fits my body. I lengthened the waist and leg by 1/2", but with my next one, I'm going to add a little more length to the leg. I didn't do the D-ring ties, instead I made the wrap around belt. I want to make a second one out of a fabric that's a little more basic - black or denim. If I were to make this again, I would buy the printed pattern. It was so much work to print the PDF version and cut it out and then do my little alterations. Overall, so super happy with how this turned out!

From everything I've sewn for my daughters, I've saved 4' squares of fabric and for one of their birthdays (I think 10th), I'm going to make them each their own quilt from all those pieces of fabrics. I think this is a good plan, but one day I realized that they would hopefully like their quilts well enough to take with them when they grow up and move out and I wanted something for myself, to remember. So over time I've collected strips of fabric and then over the course of the last two summers I sewed those scraps together and cut 10" blocks on the diagonal and then pieced them all together. Just this past week, I quilted it and bound it and now it's ready for use. I backed it with flannel. We have one other quilt backed with flannel and it's the fan favorite. I really love how this quilt turned out and it was so rewarding to pull it out of the dryer and lay it out on the floor. Both Holly and Greta were searching for and finding fabric scraps that they recognized and asking me about the ones they didn't recognized. And Maeve was copying them by pointing to fabrics herself. I bound it in fabric leftover from a dress I made for Maeve. I love this quilt! 

I forgot Maeve's bonnet in Yahk. It was time fora bigger one anyways. I love how this one turned out! The pattern is a freebie from Purl Soho. 

older posts